Wednesday, May 13, 2009

try it on for size

As a general rule, women prefer to be smaller than men, particularly men who buy them dinner. Back in January I was set up by a friend, whom I love dearly, who had been out with this particular gentleman before. She didn't have a connection with him, but thought I should have a go at it! You know how people are...they play matchmaker based on things like, you both have been on a hike once or twice in your lives, or...you both like cheese, or you both grew up listening to Van Halen. You know, the important things.

So, the gentleman and I decided to have dinner. Dale, my cousin's seven year old son whom I live with answered the door in his Batman costume. (I think I am going to keep this tatic for dates...it's a nice distraction from the initial awkwardness). The next few seconds consistes of the following thoughts, "oh wow", "what?" "Geez he's small", "How tall is he?", "Do I have any shorter shoes than flats?", "Shall I go bearfoot", "He's half my size!"

When I finally came to, from my mouth of course came, "I'm Holly, pleasure to meet you". Off we went. Here's the thing. Ordering dinner is awkward with someone half your size. I wasn't quite sure whether I should eat the whole sandwhich or stick with the half since "half" seemed to be the theme of the evening. Let's not mention that he didn't like food. I can't date a guy who doesn't like food, it's against the rules. I cook. I LOVE cooking. Cooking for someone who doesn't eat totally cramps my style...can't do it.

For future set ups, I have given all good friends and aquaintances who might even think about setting me up a list of my measurements. I might even get to eat the whole sandwhich next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment